Head of Bioinformatics Research Services
Paramount are working in partnership with Genomics England to expand their team in order to deliver success with the 100,000 Genomes Project. This is a challenging and fast moving project with the aim to carry out whole genome sequencing on 100,000 participants.
The team are looking for a talented individual with a strong background in Statistical Genetics/Genomics to provide high calibre research support to external researchers and industrial partners by delivering custom analyses, facilitating access to datasets and ensuring optimal use of their Research Data Centre. This role would suit someone with a strong background in Statistical Genetics (GWAS, cohort studies, population genetics) with team leadership/management experience.
Your main responsibilities will involve:
– Leading a skilled team that supports academic and industrial partners by analysing the program’s data to answer partner’s questions
– Ensuring the delivery of team’s objectives, staff management and development, providing hands-on support as a Senior Genomics Data Analyst
– Providing services to external clients, ensuring quality of data analyses are appropriate and the right methodologies are used
– Internal collaboration, particularly with others in the Chief Scientist’s team, Commercial team, Bioinformatics team and Software/Infrastructure Engineers to develop and deploy suitable solutions for customers
– Understanding customer needs (NHS, academia and industry) and working with them to ensure their scientific projects are successful
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
– At least 3 years’ postdoc work in fields related to statistical genetics/genomics with a strong quantitative background in Mathematics, Physics or Computer Science
– Strong evidence of experience in data analysis and genomics research using large genomics datasets of NGS data alongside clinical data. This could be any involvement in GWAS, cohort studies, population genetics, etc.
– Team leadership experience with proven ability to communicate with key customer and internal stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
– Demonstrated knowledge and competence in relevant programming languages and applications (Python, R) and experience with statistical methodologies
– Strong publication record in a relevant field
Genomics England works with key partners to collect, transport, store, quality check and sequence the samples from participants. The aim for this project is to create a new genomic medicine service for the NHS – transforming the way people are cared for. Patients may be offered a diagnosis where there wasn’t one before. In time, there is the potential of new and more effective treatments.
There are some great benefits on offer with this role including a competitive salary, pension, generous holidays and more.
Please do not hesitate to contact Harvey Uppal at email@example.com or call (+44) 121 616 3407 to discuss this opportunity further.
Keywords: Head, Bioinformatics, Genomics, London, Genomics England, Leadership, Management, NGS, Pipeline, Delivery, Commercial, Customer, Big Data, Hadoop, Python, SQL, Scala, Statistics, Genetics, GWAS, Human, Analysis.
Paramount Recruitment Limited provides services as an agency and an employment business. We regularly have similar roles in this area. Please see our website for details or send your CV in to us to find out the latest opportunities.
Job Reference: HOBGEL_1513330836
Broadcast As: 18372
Salary To: Negotiable
Job Type: Full Time
Job Term: Permanent
Recruitment Consultant: Harvey Uppal